Here are the rules for The Battle. Read carefully and talk to your librarian if you have questions. Please note updates in yellow; these updates were made because we moved from a 14-team bracket structure to an 8-team structure due to some teams being unable to compete in the Battle.
- Each team may have between 2-5 players.
- A 6th player may serve as an alternate on a team. That means s/he can sub in for another player for the duration of a Battle, but this must be determined before a Battle begins. Once the round has begun, s/he is committed to participating in that Battle. The original team member may NOT return to play during that Battle, but s/he may return to play in a subsequent Battle.
- Each team will participate in at least 2 Battles. See bracket below.
- Only the top 2 teams in the Winners Bracket will compete in the third and final Battle.
- Teams will be seeded on the bracket based on the number of questions they submitted throughout the challenge. The more questions they submitted, the higher the seed.
- Teams that win Battle 1 will continue competing as part of the Winners Bracket for a chance to win 1st-4th place.
- Teams that lose during Battle 1 will enter the Consolation Bracket for a chance to win 5th-8th place.
- 3rd-4th place in the Winners Bracket and 5th-8th place in the Consolation Bracket will be determined by points earned during Battle 2.
Battles 1 and 2 Rules
Final Battle Rules
- Only the top 2 teams will participate in the final Battle.
- The Battle will be managed by a reader / judge, a timer, and a scorekeeper.
- The Battle will begin with time to practice using the buzzer system and for introductions.
- Teams will be asked 40 questions written by NLCC librarians and support staff.
- Teams will follow the same rules as Battles 1 and 2.
- At the end of the Battle, the team that has earned the most points will be named the winner of The NLCC Battle of the Books.
- In the case of a tie for first place, the teams in the tie-breaker situation will respond to 5 questions written by librarians following the same format described above. The team with the highest number of points after the tie-breaker round will be named the winner of The NLCC Battle of the Books.